Monday, April 15, 2013

Cd update 02-09-13 through 04-10-13

It has been quite awhile since I've made a post and that is mainly due to the fact I'm going to school and work and all that good stuff but I have been able to pick up a lot of new cds so let's not waste anymore time.

02-09-13

 Parkway Drive - "Killing with a Smile" Picked this up (and the rest on this date) because I was with my friend and he's really into deathcore so I figured I'd try some new bands he said were alright. I haven't even listened to this yet to be honest.

The Famine - "The Raven and the Reaping" This is actually a cd I've been  looking for and it's pretty good. Nice tight deathcore.
                                                                     

Onward to Olympus - "Indicator" Finally got around to picking this album up so I have all their records once again. I like these guys a lot. Each record has a different feel than the last. Here, they cleaned up the sound and put more time and money into the production. Although my favorite release of theirs would have to be their debut, this one is still pretty good.

Soilwork - "Sworn to the Great Divide" This is suppose to be a good band and it probably is but I picked this up and got home to look this specific cd up and found out that this is probably their worst album. I don't have any of their other stuff to compare it to so I can't really say if this is a good example of their other works. The sound of this album sounds weird and almost hollow like. There are a few good songs on here but I'd say pass.

02-10-13

Yesterday was a deathcore day today was a prog day

Flying Colors - "Flying Colors" I picked this up just to hear what Mike Portony is doing on this record. I wasn't expecting Dream Theater at all but I wasn't expecting a rockier version of Cold Play. This album was kind of boring for me. the last track kind of reminded me of YES so that's a plus but other than that it leaves a lot to be desired.

Porcupine Tree - "Octane Twisted" This live album contains "The Incident" and a few other songs by the band. I got it for $11 bucks and I'm not complaining. There are 2 discs here, the 1st with "The Incident" and the second with the other songs. I am ashamed to say that I haven't listened to the second disc because I can't stop listening to the 1st one! I freakin love what Steven Wilson and his boys did on "The Incident". I'll be sure to look into the rest of Porcupines's back catalog.
                                                                             


Rings of Saturn - "Dingir" I reviewed this for the metal-temple and interviewed the lead guitarist so the record company sent me a free copy!

02-14-13

Tool - "10,000 Days" Neat little package this came in. I'd try to describe it to you but I'd just confuse you. It's pretty good musically but like "Laterus" it has it's boring spots.

Greenday - "Warning" Boy, after "Insomaniac" things seem to go down hill for these guys. Nothing on this cd was good to me. I'm glad it was only $5.

YES - Fragile (Vinyl) This has the classic "Roundabout" song on it. Haven't given it a listen yet but I saw it for $2 bucks and had to pick it up. Still need to get the cd of this as well.

Overkill - "Electric Age" I tell you, no matter how old Overkill gets they never seem to stop thrashing your face off. This is an amazing album I shouldn't have missed last year. If you like thrash, get this and anything else these guys put out, they don't fail to please.
                                                                     


Fates Warning - "Parallels" My 1st Fates cd and its pretty good. You can definitely here the 90's prog sound as well as Rush influences all over this record. I enjoy it.

Nightwish  - "Once" An older Nightwish with Tarja (Whatever her name is) on the vocals. I have not listened to this either. I'll eventually get around to it though.

Machine Head - "The Blackening" I already had this but not in physical from so for $3 I decided to get it.

02-25-13

Storm Corrosion - "Storm Corrosion" Finally got this obscure piece of art. It's the collaboration between Mikael (Opeth) and Steven (Porcupine Tree) and it's mysterious, haunting, mind boggling, all at the same time. If you like wierd music this is for you.
                                                                         

 The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Box set with reissue of "Twilight of Idols", "Down Among Dead Men", and "Traveler" - With a name like that you have to wonder what type of music these guys make. Well if you like the Dianno era of Maiden you'll love these guys! Their sound is straight out of the 80's. The tone of their guitar player sound almost exactly like Dave Murray. The topic of their lyrics a similar to Iron Maiden's as well, they sing about scifi and fantasy. I really love this band. This is without doubt the best band no one has heard of.

03-09-13

Testament - "Low" The first album without Alex and you can tell because the guitar lacks a bit. The guys beefed up their sound here and the mix is nice and thick. Over all its not a bad album, it has some real good songs on it but it's not as good as their previous albums.

Between the Buried and Me - "Colors Live" This has the entire album preformed live on the cd and a dvd with the whole concert where they played "Colors" and the making of as well. I'm glad it was March metal month because this and all the other cds I got were only $10! I think this was a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Exodus - "Exhibit A" Excellent riffolisious thrash! I love this cd. The imagery described in some of the lyrics tend to turn my stomach so I try to avoid those tracks. I mean it's Exodus what else do you expect besides awesome riffage and dark imagery?

Exodus - "Exhibit B" Pretty much just a continuation of "Exhibit A" and just as good.

Dying Fetus - "Descend into Depravity" Oh how technically proficient this is. The Riffs, the Sweeps, the maddening blast beats, this is just jaw dropping. Brutal, brutal, brutal, from start to finish.

03-25-13

Decrepit Birth - "Polarity" The most recent release from these technical masters. If I had to pick my favorite guitar tone it would probably be this guy's tone. If you listen to it you'll notice how unique it is and how it cuts through the rest of the mix whenever it's time for a face melting solo.

Iced Earth - "The Glorious Burden" So happy I found this in a store and for only $8 instead of online for $20. This is the 1st record with Tim "Ripper" Owens on vocals. This album is pure patriotic American  heavy metal. It even has the 3 piece suite about Gettysburg and it's freakin epic!

Morbid Angel - "Domination" Just look at that cover, its so awesome and so is this album. Sick old school death metal!
                                                                         
    
Overkill - "The Years of Decay" This just might be my favorite Overkill album. The songs are longer and just a tad slower but it rocks so freakin hard. Bobby Blitz voice fits so well on the ballad like title track. This album is solid from front to back. A must for any thrash fan.

Pantera - "Far Beyond Driven" I now have all the Pantera cd after "Cowboys from Hell". This is the one that debuted at #1 on the music charts and I'm not really sure if it deserves that spot. Is it good, of course it is but is it #1 good? The album is heavy and has a lot of classic Pantera songs but some of the songs feel like filler to me. If you're a fan definitely get it, I'd even suggest it to if you weren't a fan. I just think Pantera was capable of more.

Pathology - "Legacy of the Ancients" I got this because it was $2 and I knew they were an ok band. This is a pretty good gore/brutal death metal album. I listened to it straight through and it kept my interest so that's always a good sign.

03-29-13

Iron Maiden - "Maiden England Live Dvd" This is the 88' tour for "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" tour. It's Maiden so I can't really say anything else beside it's freaking awesome! The concert takes place during my favorite era of Maiden with those neat synthesizers. The second dvd has part 3 of the history of the band but it's only 40 minutes and that's kind of disappointing. They did include a 90 min video of a previously released documentary called "12 Years Wasted" which discussed the bands first 12 years. I'm not positive but I think it aired in television sometime in the 90's. It's nice package but it only has 40 min of new footage so you'll have to decide if it's worth it for you. Since I hadn't seen any of the three videos the $20 was totally worth it.
                                                                 

Gogira - "L'enfant Sauvage" I got this because Metal Hammer awarded this album "album of the year" last year. The 1st song is good and the drummer is pretty good but after that the album feels repetitive and boring. The vocals are constantly the same and it get's kind of annoying. I seriously don't know how this made album of the year, it wouldn't even be in my top ten. Now, this isn't a steaming pile of crap but it's not the best.

Scorpions - "Blackout" For $5 I don't know why I kept passing over this album for so long. It's just a classic, what else can you say about the Scorpions?

04-02-13

Killswitch Engage - "Disarm the Decent" KsE's first album since the disappointment of their 2009 release and this one is better but I still have mixed feelings about it. Of course we know this is the record where the original vocalist came back after departing before "End of Heartache" that had Howard on vocals. I got into these guys with "As Daylight Dies" and I loved that cd. So naturally I'm a fan of Howard's deep manly voice so the change to Jesse's is hard for me. It's not a bad album but it just doesn't have that feel "End of Heartache" or "As Daylight Dies" has. The more I listen to "Disarm" it has been getting better but I don't think it will ever be as good as the two I mentioned before.

04-10-13

Cannibal Corpse - "Kill" Finally, I own a CC record and I'm glad it's this one. This album is so brutal I love it. The bottom end is crushing and the guitars are thick and meaty. This album is relentless and that's always a good thing.

The Contortionist - "Exo-planet" I hear this full album on youtube and had to get the physical album. It's like atmospheric djent and it's done very well. Certainly worth checking out.

Morbid Angel - "Altars of Madness" I just got these few so I haven't gotten through this yet but so far it sounds sick! I got it used for $8 and it has a live dvd called "Live Madness 89'" so I'm really looking forward to that!

Well that's it for now. Until next time......keep it METAL \m/


No comments:

Post a Comment