Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Part 4 of My Collection O-W THE END!

It's been awhile since I added a posted about my collection that doesn't have to do with adding to it. I'm nearly finished so let's see how far we get today.

O
 Once Dead- "Visions of Hell" This is a Christian thrash band that hardly anyone knows about. They have some pretty impressive riffs and put me in mind of Slayer.
                                                                 
Onward to Olympas - "This World is Not My Home"
                                   "War Within Us" Yet another Christian Metalcore band but these guys are actually half decent. Their firts album is their best but I haven't listened to their newest release yet.

Opeth - "Ghost Reveries" Now since I've already told you about all the other Opeth I purchased in my other "Additions to my Collection" posts I'll just put my favorite one here. "Ghost Reveries" is my favorite and out of the ones I've heard their best.  It's perfectly balanced with hard songs and easy softer songs. I enjoy this record from front to back every time I play through it.
                                                     I even bought a shirt with that pic on it!
                                                                       
Overkill - "Wrecking Your Neck LIVE"
               "Immortalis" Classic East coast thrash for the win! These guys were around before Metallica and way better if you ask me. They definitely deserve to be in the big 4. "Immortalis" is so under rated but so amazing. I know I don't have any of their classic stuff from the 80's but those cd are so hard to find. But from what I've heard these guys don't deviate from their sound so it's safe to say what they create today is comparable to what came out in the 80's.
                                                                           
P
 P.O.D - "Fundamental Elements of South A Town"

Pantera - "Cowboys from Hell" Their best effort!
               "Vulgar Display of Power"
                "Great Southern Trend Kill"
               "Far Beyond the Southern Cowboys Vulgar Hits"
               If you want something that sounds different than all those other groove/thrash bands then this is exactly what you want.  "Cowboys" is so fresh and new even still today! The production was so much cleaner than anything else they did after that record. RIP Dimebag.
                                                                               
Prong - "Cleansing" Awesome chunky heavy material, check it out right now!

Q
 Queen - "Greatest Hits"
               "Classic Queen"

Queensryche - "Operation: Mindcrime" One of the best concept albums you'll ever listen to. Like Bruce from Iron Maiden says, " 'Mindcrime' is the proper way to make a concept album." It lives up to the hype.
                                                                               
R
 Rammstein - "Sehnsucht" It has the song "Du Hast" and a bunch of other good ones.

RED - "End of Silence"
           "Innocence and Instinct"
           "Until We have Faces"
           My favorite was the first album but every release after it has been right on spot with the one before it. They are a Christian band that sorta sounds like Linkin Park when they were good.

Rush - "2112"
           "A Farewell to Kings"
           "Hemispheres"
           "Moving Pictures"
           "Clock Work Angles"
           Yep, gotta have some of that awesome prog in you collection to even have a collection worth having. There isn't really much to say about this band because they speak for themselves. But in my personal opinion I think "A Farewell to Kings" is my favorite, but it's so hard to decide!
                                                                     
S
 Sacred Reich - "Independent"  Good newer thrash with a unique sounding vocalist.

Scar Symmetry - "Holographic Universe" Here's band that is turning out solid material! This album is so amazing and the guitar work is mind blowing! Christian (however you spell his last name and I'm not even gonna try here) the ex vocalist is one of my fav singers. He can hit those high notes then drop down to a deep guttural grow. This type of music really puts you in mind of space metal. If such a things exists.
                                                               
Sepultura - "Blood Rooted"
                  "Dante XXI" I lack any of the Max era Sepultura unless you consider "Blood Rooted" is but it's only a collections of rare besides and crap like that. However, "Dante XXI" is a pretty good album and has a really good sound. If I can find these cds cheap enough I'll buy just about whatever they put out and I don't know why. I mean they are ok but nothing mind blowing. Maybe one day I'll figure that out.
                                                                   
Sevendust - "Home"
                   "Animosity"
                   "Seasons"
                    Meh, decent nu-metal but "Home" is their best and only one worth having.

Shadows Fall - "Somber Eyes tot eh Sky"
                        "The War Within" My first cd I ever bought and one of my favorites.
                        "Fallout From the War"
                        "Seeking the Way: Greatest Hits"
                        "Threads of Life"
                        "Retribution"
                        Shadows Fall was originally fronted by All that remains singer Philip Lebonte. (or whatever his last name is.) He was on "Somber" and that album had a more death metal vibe. This band makes pretty good albums and used to be my favorite band when I was a lot younger. The reason they aren't my favorite anymore doesn't mean they got worse but because my taste matured and I found better things. I still love these guys and "War Within" is still an amazing album, one of the best! There is not a bad song on that record. To prove that they are still at the top of their game their new cd, "Fire from the Sky", is in the running for my album of 2012. Yeah it's that good.
                                                                   
The Showdown - "Back Breaker"
                            "Blood in the Gears" Good solid grove metal.

Slipknot - "Vol. 3: Subliminal Verses" This about the only album I like by this band. I has "Before I Forget", "Pulse of the Maggots", and "Duality".

Soundgarden - "Superunkown" A really surprisingly good grunge album.

Stratovarius - "Destiny"
                      "Elements part 1" This is actually a pretty good power metal band. Every album I pick up by them I enjoy.

Symphony X - "Iconoclast" If there is one album you must listen to before you die it is this one. If this came out in 2012 it would take 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It's by far one of the best things I've ever heard! I would own more of their material but I can't find them anywhere. Go out now and get this album before it disappears like their other releases!
                                                                             
T
  Testament - "The Ritual" when I first went through all my cds, sometime at the beginning of 2012, I only had this record. I'm glad to say my Testament collection has grown significantly! This album is the last with Alex Skolinick before he came back in 2008 to record "Formation for Damnation.", at least I think it was in 2008.  Over all this is a boring record, but I got it for $2 at Halfprice Books so I'm not complaining.

Theocracy - "Mirror of Souls"
                   "As the World Bleeds" One of my top bands right here. Freaking EPIC Christian power metal! The musicianship exhibited here is phenomenal! A must for any power metal fan!
                                                                        
Tourniquet - "Where Rust and Moth Destroy"
                    "Anti-septic Bloodbath" Tourniquet is a Christian thrash band that uses lots of technicality. Although the vocals aren't the best they aren't that difficult to get used to. People are making a fuss about Necrophagist or Wintersun taking so long to release their next album; well those people wouldn't have lasted if they knew about Tourniquet. "Where Rust and Moth Destroy" came out in 2001 I believe and the next release just came out this year. Yeah over a decade to wait and all I can say is that it was worth it.
                                                                     
Trivium - "Shogun" Three words, GO BUY IT! This album a masterpiece if you ask me. I love it and I'm afraid to get "In Waves because I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. How do you follow up an album like this. It would be like Machine Head trying to follow up the "Blackening", nearly impossible.
                                                                        SHOGUN
     
W
  War of Ages - "Fire from the Tomb"
                         "Pride of the Wicked"
                         "Arise and Conquer"
                         "Eternal"
                        Yet another Christian Metalcore band. These guys stand out from the pack because of the melodic and intricate guitar sections and solos. They do have a lot of good break downs which can be entertaining if you're in the right mood.
                                                                     

PHEW! That's all of my cd collection! Now you can read it any time you get bored enough. Now I'm going to make another post about a ton of new cds I just bought, gotta love black Friday deals!

Until next time....keep it METAL \m/
                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment