Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Black Friday Additions to My Collection 11-23-12

Time once again for another exciting installment of Everything METAL! Brace yourselves for a load of new additions to my collections

Testament - "The Legacy" The amazing debut from the bay area thrash maters! It has that classic old school sound I love and plenty of solid riffs. Now my Testament collection is pretty extensive. I'm only missing "The New Order" and once I get that I'll have every cd up to "The Ritual". I will probably wind up getting all their releases eventually, but all in good time.
                                                                           
Sepultura - "Arise" YAYHOO! Finally Max Sepultura! This is actually really good! Now I want "Beneath the Remains" and "Chaos A.D." even more now.
                   "Against" I only picked this up because it was two bucks. I haven't even listened to it yet.
                                                                         
Obituary - "Frozen in Time" Yes, I am aware that this isn't an amazing release like "Cause of Death" or "Slowly We Rot" but this was the only one they had and I really wanted some more old school Death metal."

God Forbid - "Gone Forbid" I've been looking for this album ever since I heard "Antihero" I the bonus sampler disc that came with Shadows Fall's "War Within" record. Finally, I have it and I like it a lot!

Pantera - "Reinventing the Steel" The last album and no where near their best but still a decent effort. It's Pantera so it's going to be better than a majority of what's out there but its not up to par with their better albums. Now the only cd I'm missing is "Far Beyond Driven". I've been contemplating picking up a package where I get all their cds for $20. I would most likely give the ones I already have to my buddy who only listens to crapcore in hopes of getting him into some better stuff. Or I might just keep them for myself because it can't hurt to have an extra copy of some of my favorite cds.

Dethklok - "Dethalbum II" Honestly I was kinda disappointed. I had heard a few song by these guys and even bought season 4 of their show. I think the hype over the show makes them out to be better than they really are.

Dio - "Master of the Moon" If it's Dio then it must be good! I thought that very thing as I picked it out to purchase. Words can not describe how wrong I was. I think this came out in 2004 and you can tell Dio was getting old. The songs and vocals aren't bad but the whole record is just boring. I Love "Holy Diver", "Last in Line" and all those classics but this album sounds like he was tired and I don't blame him since he was getting up there in age.  Cool album cover though.
                                                                          
Battlelore - "Sword's Song" I saw a few youtube videos of this band and they were okay. So I took a chance and I'm not sure how to feel about this record yet. (Probably because I haven't listened to it all yet.) The vocals seem to be drowned out by the symphonic elements and other instruments.

Children of Bodom - "Blooddrunk" When I first heard this I was kinda turned off by the weird implementation of the keyboard. However, after another listen I really liked this cd. It's like a freight train from start to finish. I'm glad I took a chance on it. If they would have had "Are You Dead Yet?" I totally would have picked that one up instead because that's the one I'm searching to find. Oh and this is the special edition of "Blooddrunk" with a dvd that has two different recording styles of the album, the music video for "Blooddrunk" and the making of that video.
                                                                       
Fear Factory - "Demanufacture/Remanufacture" The Fear Factory record everybody seems to love. I was lucky enough to find it with a bonus disc of "Remanufacture" which is nothing more than "Demanufacture" track's remixed. All in all it is a Fear Factory release and it has that awesome 90's feel to it when I listen to it.
                                                                           
Dream Theater - "Awake"
                          "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence"
                          I'm so happy I found these! Now I'm only missing "Octravarium" then my collection will be complete! "Awake" is the 1994 release that came after "Images and Words". These albums share the same sound but "Awake" has heavier sections. Which one is better you ask? I've listened to "Images" so many times its unfair to compare "Awake" to it with only one listen. "Six Degrees" is the 2002 release that came out after their breakthrough album "Metropolis pt 2: Scenes from a Memory". What special about "Six Degrees" is that it has two discs! The first disc has 5 songs, each very lengthy and quality DT material. The Second disc is one entire song lasting about 42 minutes, the title track. Here's a little thing I noticed; upon listening to the 42 min track I noticed that the ending fade out is also the beginning of "As I Am", the opening track on their next record "Train of Thought." I just thought it was a neat little thing I noticed and felt the need to share with the internet.
                                                                                       
                                                                               
That was a lot and most likely the last purchase of 2012 for me. I know it's a sad thing, but Christmas has yet to come and I know I'll be getting some more then and not to mention gift cards to amazon so I get all those hard to find expensive albums I want. Don't forget I'm still working on that best of 2012 list but I probably won't put that out until after the new year. So until next time...keep it METAL \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment