Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What I Missed in 2012 and Other Things

I wanted to make another post having to do with 2012 mainly having to do with what I missed and a few other side notes.

What I Missed
If my "Best Of" list made you butt hurt because your fav album wasn't included chances are its on this list. These are albums that I was interested in but never got around to picking up. So prepare for a very long list.

Overkill - "The Electric Age"
Flying Colors - "Flying Colors"
Periphery - "Periphery II"
Impending Doom - "Baptized in Filth"
Kreator - 'Phantom Antichrist"
Eluveitie - "Helvetios"
Corrosion of Conformity - "Corrosion of Conformity"
Cannibal Corpse - "Torture"
Katatonia - "Dead End Kings"
Rhapsody of Fire - "Ascending to Infinity"
Primal Fear - "Unbreakable" 
Dragonforce - "Power Within"
Grave Digger's album
Prong - "Carved in Stone"
Soundgarden - "King Animal"
Nightwish - "Imaginarium"  
TeserecT - "One"
Napalm Death - "Utilitarian"
Dying Fetus - "Reign Supreme"
Miseration - "Tragedy has Spoken"
Ensiferum - "Unsung Heroes"
All that Remains - "A War You Cannot Win"
Xandria - "Neverworld's End"
Becoming the Archetype - "I Am"
Onward to Olympus - "Vindicator"
As I Lay Dying - "Awakening"
Kill Devil Hill - "Kill Devil Hill" just curious about this one because Rex Brown from Pantera is in it.
Moments - "Stealing Axiom"
Wintersun - "Time I"
Devin Townsend Project - "Epicloud"
Revocation - "Teratogenesis EP"
Neal Morse - "Momentum"
Flower Kings - "Banks of Eden"

So there you have it, all I missed out on. 

I wanted to bring to your attention that 2012 marked the 30th anniversary of Metallica which they celebrated over a 3 night show with a ton of special guests. Dave Mustaine showed up and they play a few songs together. It probably would have been nice to see but I didn't go. I only know about it because I bought the special edition of Metal Hammer which covered the event. No I have not read it yet but I will....eventually. It did come with a 7'' vinyl with "Through the Never" and "So What" on it but I'm not sure why they chose those songs. I can think of a few more iconic Metallica songs than those but it wasn't my show so I didn't tell them what songs to put on the vinyl. 

2012 was also the 20th anniversary of Pantera's awesome "Vulgar Display of Power" which got a reissue with an unreleased track called "Piss". I got the song for free off of Amazon and it's nothing special. I did pick up Revolver's special Pantera issue that was dedicated entirely to the band. Most of the stuff I already knew but their were a few neat little bits of info I was unaware of. I'll probably be getting the same thing again in 2 years for the 20th anniversary of "Far Beyond Driven".  That is the only Pantera record I don't have so I'm sure they'll do a reissue of that disc with a bonus song or something and that's when I'll get it if I can hold out that long,

For some reason Relapse Records figured it would be a good idea to do a reissue of Death's "Spiritual Healing". I'm not sure why they reissued this record this year since it came out in 1990. A 22nd year anniversary seems odd but oh well. It came in a few different packages; regular cd, two disc package, three disc set, and a $100 dollar bundle with a shirt, photos, guitar pics, the 3 disc set and other goodies. I was lucky enough to review this amazing album for the Metal Temple (www.metal-temple.com) so I have not picked up a physical copy yet.

"Countdown to Extinction" had its 20th like all these other records. Just like "Rust" Megadeth played this record in its entirety. The performance was recorded and released with a remastered version of the album in a box with some cards with the band's mugs plastered on them. I have really no incentive to buy this album again so I won't be picking it up anytime soon.

I'd like to call to the attention of everyone that "Images and Words" had its 20th anniversary but it got no special treatment. Out of all the reissues last year I think this one deserves one the most! It was Dream Theater's break through album for heaven's sake! I did hear a rumor that it was getting pressed into a vinyl form in 2013. So maybe it'll get some special attention for a 21st anniversary. 

For a 30th anniversary "Number of the Beast" was named best British album in the past 60 years! Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance" turned 30 this year as well.

That's all I think I wanted to say about 2012. I'm sure once I posted this I'll remember something I forgot. I know I said last post I'd show you my new toy but I really meant TWO posts after that one. I didn't think I'd make this one. I really need to get on that post because I got a ton of new cds pushing me over the 300 cd mark. So I should probably do that after I post this one. Okay like I always say, keep it METAL \nn/      

No comments:

Post a Comment